Friday 2 October 2009

Liberty, noun. (pl. -ties) - end bit

But I was not to be deterred, the sign was out there, and I was going to read it. Arthur's questions on what I could possibly hope to achieve fell on deaf ears. My mind was made up, and I left.

The road ahead was to be challenging; an epic journey in which I would cross the whole island, virtually. Although, I had no real reason to hurry, no life-threatening obstacle to overcome. It wasn't like my wife needed to heart transplant and I needed to collect it and be back before time runs out! But, I did feel a sense of urgency. An overwhelming sense of purpose had grabbed me, and was clinging on with some force, so I left as soon as possible. With my cling film bag full to the brim with crumbs and such, and triumphantly tossed over my shoulder, I made headway.

It was just after noon and the sun was strong. I sighed at my furry coat, as it efficiently kept in every darn ounce of heat. A wiser mouse, or less adventurous one, I'd like to think, may have put the mission off until a cooler, less busy time. But not I, I set off without a second thought.

I headed north, at first, then west past the statue. This was a grassy affair and even though the glaring heat was sure to demand the most from me, the day couldn't have been more beautiful. The tourists seemed to stray no further than the edge of the paths, and that was great as far as this mouse was concerned. No need to confront the humans until it was necessary. I made a mental note to keep to grassland for as long as possible.

But before long this simple wish had been refused. The path circumnavigated the statue, and because I was inside this circle, I was trapped. This was as far from my home as I had ever been. Beyond here, all I knew was vague directions, based on vague rumours. The midday hour had brought peak numbers to the area and the path looked impenetrable.

This was only the first sign of tourists and I was at a loss! Barely half an hour and it seemed I was beaten. I sat down and opened my bag, went for a bit of wholegrain bread and started to ponder my predicament.

But no sooner had I placed a stray nut back in my mouth when I heard a strange rustle, followed by a sound which can only be described as a slurp, of sorts. I turned around to be faced by a rosy cheeked, drooling Hector.

"What's that, a erm, a nut is it?" he said.

"This thing in my mouth? I replied.

"Hmm, any more? More . . . nuts?" His words were obscured by immense quantities of saliva.

Unsurprisingly, it turned out that that Hector had been following me since home, under the impression that I was out looking for food.

"Hector, have you even been beyond the path?"

"Ah, yes many times," said Hector to my surprise. "Much to eat on the other side, much food."

I explained to him that I needed to get across the path and if he helped me I would make it "worth his while". This was all he needed, and with a quick "c'mon!" he bounded off around the statue. Without having gone far we came to a tunnel with water flowing through it. Hector led me into the tunnel and after some time in darkness we emerged back into the glare of the afternoon, in a grassy expanse. This area was far more grassy than where I lived, and this appealed to the mouse in me. As promised, I gave Hector some of my food. I asked him if he had been any further out than this, to which he replied that he had not. The wary look in his eyes as he said this told me that he didn't intend to, so I left him munching away, and continued my journey.

But before long I was faced with another obstacle, or rather, obstacles - tables, chairs, and people. People carelessly bumping into each other, dropping coins, dropping sandwiches; people knocking over furniture as they scrambled around performing the activity they refer to as 'lunchtime'. Baby's were screaming, children were laughing, men were taking photos of their girlfriends against the backdrop of a huge blue-green woman.


I'm going to slip through unnoticed.


I could see the fabled sign of enlightenment, containing the hitherto illusive name of our island. But no more! No more will the clouds of mystery rain ignorance drops upon me. No more will I be imprisoned behind the walls of my own inexperience! The time hath come for awakening!

But I had to get to the sign, it was facing the other way, and this meant getting past these people. I was getting restless.


I ran.


Women screamed, kids screamed, men repressed their screams. I just kept on running, ignoring the rising chaos which was growing around me. Tables were being knocked over as I flew under them, running under the patron's legs. I had never run so fast! The adrenaline surged as all hell broke loose in the cafe garden. I ignored my mousely instincts as barely touched baguettes landed to my left and right. Food was the last thing on my mind as I raced across the concrete.

Then I came to an abrupt halt. But it was not the kind of halt that a wall might cause, no, this halt had a much more gravity induced feel to it. I was surrounded by darkness, but this soon subsided and I was again in harsh sunlight. Only now I could not move. I lay on my side, experiencing what seemed like emense pain, all over. And again, darkness crashed down on me, accompanied by a soundtrack of cracks.

The screaming had stopped, and I could hear various remarks of relief. The tourists were regaining their calm. As I looked straight out with my one working eye I saw a sign which read 'Liberty Island'.


Liberty. It was not a word I was familiar with.


END

That's not really the end, ...watch this space _____ eeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment