Sunday 29 November 2015

Scourge of the Trail: P3



Part 3: When the Planning of the Doing of it Still Takes Longer than the Doing of the Doing of it.


Walking. Yeah, I know about that. I’ve done it before. Even since the Coast to Coast I’ve walked from time to time. I even did a little before breakfast today. However, in the week leading up to the Big Walk, as I’m going to call mine and Dave’s Coast to Coast walk from now on, I decided to put my walking into practice by walking a bit further than I usually would. The first walk involved a Mr. Marc-e-b and a Mr. Mike Todd, and we walked from New Milton to Brockenhurst, taking an unneeded and tiring detour on the way back, to the tune of 20 miles. We finished at the Kebab House, in an attempt to undo all the health we can accumulated, whereupon I bought a massive doner kebab I called my mum to come pick me up.

The combination of walking and kebab caused very different pains in very different places, but provided a good test for the Big Walk. With the promise of averaging 15 miles a day, it seemed very doable. Even better, as we all noticed, the next day the muscles were positively fresh and only the lingering heaviness of doner meat remained. Eat healthy, walk healthy, I promised myself.

Mike and I also walked the coast from New Milton to Lymington. It pelted with rain, providing a good test for my bag and coat (which were not adequately protected) and took us past the wonderful low marshlands which sit beside the Solent. On this occasion, we set something of a precedent: after a quick and mighty start, we stopped off for a coffee, feeling very good about ourselves and sure to plod on gallantly to the finish line. Sadly, we were only about 10% of the way through and we’d already had our break. When you reach the 12 mile mark or thereabouts, you can’t help but curse the fool you were when you breaked so early.

In Lymington we went into the camping and hiking store Millets where I bought a few items: a tiny torch which you can wrap around your head, waterproof trousers, a tiny pillow and tiny ‘quickdry’ towel, and first aid items. Dave was going to sort out eating equipment.

“Gonna need that if it’s a day like this,” said the Millets Man. He’d cleverly made the connection between the waterproof trousers and the deepening rainstorm outside. “You couldn’t be more right,” I said. “We’re walking back to New Milton.”

“You’re what?” he said, astonished. Unlike you, reader, this Millets Man of Lymington knew exactly where New Milton was, for New Milton is Lymington’s scummier, unruly brother. Whereas Lymington is the proud home of the likes of teenage piano cover queen Birdy, New Milton is the proud home of machete-wielding townies. A few years ago, I came back from living in South East London, with all its gangs and big-city perils, only to find myself in a pub brawl outside New Milton’s Rydal. Millets Man thus he knew that it was some distance, and was surely wondering why anyone would go to New Milton, even on a sunny day, even in a car. “You’re walking to New Milton, like, now?”

“We’ve just come from New Milton,” said Mike, evidently feeling a bit manly. “Gotta get back somehow.”

“Blimey,” he said. For a man who worked in a hiking and camping shop, he was surprisingly surprised to come across walkers. His astonishment only deepened when I told him I was going to walk the Coast to Coast. I had suspicions that this man was not a real walker at all, but simply a mere retailer.

I had bought a tent, also from Millets, but online. It turned out, later (when emailing them from a pub as my ripped tent dripped rain in the garden) that I hadn’t bought it from Millets, but from Millet Sports. The latter is a sports store, also trading in Millets-type equipment, but at a lower quality if the frozen moisture in my nostrils was anything to go by.

After these walks I felt positively sturdy, somewhere between Conan the Barbarian and a gorilla. I had some Keen hiking boots which I had spent hours deliberating over, reading reviews and whatnot, before buying them from Taobao. Taobao is China’s Ebay, and a haven of cheap shit. It was a risk, but my Keens were great! And they continue to be so. With all my stuff stuffed into a smallish Oakley backpack bought from the Fake Market in Shanghai, I was ready to go.

Take me to Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment